Click on the toggle below for conversion to US Cooking Units.
Remove the rind of the yellow watermelon. Cut into bite size chunks.
Crumble the Greek feta gently.
Hand tear the mint leaves to yield 1/3 cups.
Place the yellow watermelon into a large mixing bowl. Add the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients gently so as not to break the watermelon.
Place half the seasoned yellow watermelon on your serving plate or bowl. Scatter half the crumbled Greek feta on top and sprinkle half the mint leaves over it.
Place the rest of the yellow watermelon on top of the first half. Add the rest of the crumbled Greek feta and mint. This ensures there is a consistent ratio of the 3 ingredients throughout the salad without having to toss it.
Season the assembled salad with another sprinkle of black pepper. Serve immediately.
Cups and Spoons
If yellow watermelon is not available, use the traditional red crimson fleshed watermelon.
Use Greek feta as it is made up of at least 70% sheep's milk, with goat's milk often making up the other 30%. It is saltier, drier and crumbles easily. Danish and Australian feta are made from cow’s milk. They are creamier and doesn’t crumble as well.
When crumbling the Greek feta, do so gently without squashing it into a paste like consistency.
Don’t toss this salad as the watermelon is delicate and could break and it will also cause it water at a faster rate.
On a truly hot summer’s day, you can serve a cold salad by using a watermelon straight out of the fridge.